Claiming Maintenance for Herself and Children in Pakistan: Do You Need the Court?


In Pakistan, like many other countries, laws have been established to protect the rights and well-being of spouses and children during and after a marriage. One crucial aspect of this legal framework is the provision for maintenance, ensuring financial support for wives and children in the event of a separation or divorce. Many people wonder if it’s possible to claim maintenance without going to court. In this blog, we’ll delve into the legal provisions in Pakistan and explore the options available for women seeking maintenance for themselves and their children.

Understanding Maintenance Laws in Pakistan

In Pakistan, the laws governing maintenance primarily revolve around two primary pieces of legislation: the Muslim Family Laws Ordinance 1961 and the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) 1898.

1. Muslim Family Laws Ordinance 1961:
This ordinance is applicable to Muslims and outlines the legal procedures for divorce, maintenance, and other family matters. Under this law, a wife has the right to claim maintenance from her husband during the marriage and after divorce.

2. Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) 1898:
Section 488 of the CrPC provides a comprehensive legal framework for claiming maintenance from a spouse or father of a child. This section allows a wife, children, or even parents to claim maintenance, and it is not limited to a specific religious community.

Maintenance Without Going to Court

Claiming maintenance without involving the court is possible in certain cases, but it largely depends on the willingness of the spouse to cooperate. Here are some options to consider:

1. *Mutual Agreement*: If the husband is willing to provide financial support voluntarily, a mutual agreement can be reached between the parties. It’s essential to document this agreement in writing to avoid future disputes.

2. *Arbitration*: In cases where both parties are open to resolving disputes amicably, they can seek arbitration through a local mosque or a religious scholar. This informal process can lead to an agreement on maintenance terms.

3. *Family Councils*: Some communities have family councils or local elders who mediate and help resolve family disputes, including maintenance issues. Engaging with these councils can help reach an agreement without going to court.

4. *Legal Notice*: A legal notice from a lawyer to the husband can sometimes prompt a resolution without court involvement. This notice serves as a formal request for maintenance and puts legal pressure on the husband to comply.

5. *Social Pressure*: In some cases, the involvement of family and community members can influence the husband to provide maintenance voluntarily to avoid social embarrassment.

When Court Involvement Becomes Necessary

While these non-court options can work in many cases, they are not always foolproof. In situations where the husband refuses to provide maintenance or defaults on agreed payments, court intervention becomes necessary. To initiate the legal process, the wife or guardian of the child can file a maintenance petition under Section 488 of the CrPC in the respective district court.

The court will then conduct hearings and assess the financial circumstances of both parties to determine the appropriate maintenance amount. If the husband fails to comply with the court’s orders, legal measures can be taken to enforce the maintenance payments.


In Pakistan, women and children have legal rights to claim maintenance from husbands and fathers, respectively, without necessarily going to court. However, whether or not court involvement is needed depends on the willingness of the parties to cooperate and the effectiveness of alternative dispute resolution methods. When all else fails, the legal system is available to ensure that maintenance obligations are met and the rights of women and children are protected. It’s essential to be aware of your legal rights and seek legal counsel when necessary to navigate these often complex and sensitive issues.

To Top
Open chat
Scan the code
Can we help you?